Sunday Funday

on Sunday, February 13, 2011
I normally work my second job on Sundays. I work at a Mongolian stirfry restaurant on the weekends. It's a locally owned business, one of a kind. I really love it for that and many other reasons. There is something so comforting and exciting about the way people come in and out. It is so different than my "day job" where I sit in an office, always surrounded by the same people. Do not misunderstand. I work for an after school program and am very passionate about that. But, working in a restaurant, where the people flow in and out, as if there are scene changes in a play, there is a certain je ne sais quoi.

We give out fortune cookies, which amuses me to no end. I have something in mind for the fortunes on this blog, but I won't spoil the surprise. Let's say it will be a regular thing, and it's a very unique idea.

This weekend I worked Saturday and Sunday. Those weekends can be very tiring, but, honestly, I fare much better when I am busy. I am definitely an all or none kind of girl. If I get up and do one chore, I do them all. I do miss Ro a ton when I work a lot, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do for her family. I think to myself sometimes that maybe one day I will no longer work at the restaurant. Honestly, I just can't see myself not working there! I think it gives my sense of humor a workout!

I'll give you an example:

I am always super cheesy when I get a table. A woman and her teenage daughter came in yesterday, which happened to be the first sunny and spring-like day in what seems like a hundred years.

Me: "Hey guys! You doing ok? Enjoying the sunshine?"
Mom: "Oh, yes, it's just gorgeous out there. Much better than the snow we had earlier this week."
Teenage Daughter: *rolls eyes as she removes sunglasses* "No, I hate the sun. It's way too bright. These are the darkest glasses I could find. They make it like night. But I wish they were darker."
Mom: "Don't worry about her. She's just a freak."

As I seat them, I notice she has on a black shirt with a heart, inscribed with the ever famous "Team Edward." Ah, now I get it. She's a vampire. Or just in love with one. I meant to stop back by the table and make some type of reference "(Oh, you don't like the sun, you prefer blood?" or "Does your skin sparkle in the sun?") but never really made the effort. They left, and I got one last laugh. As I bussed the table, I noticed teenage daughter's fortune: "You will bring sunshine into someone's life."

3 comments:

murmurkibbies said...

I heart this story so much! Especially cuz it's true.

Anonymous said...

I loved the story and am especially excited to see what your fortune idea entails.

I worked at a restaurant in college where, in training, we were told that our job as servers was to clown. We were supposed to do our job well (couldn't write down orders, had to memorize them, no asking "who had the steak?" when you took food to the table - you had to know who got what, etc), and at the same time, we were supposed to entertain people, make them laugh, compliment them. It was one of the most challenging but totally fun jobs I ever had. I think working at the hotel was the only odd job I had that topped it. I'm sure you're awesome at it and look forward to more work stories!

Courtney Lurie said...

This literally made me lol! Royce asked me if I wanted to keep serving after I had the baby, and I was like how could I not! It is way too entertaining.

Post a Comment